Our guide to insuring a charity fundraising event

Share via:

As a charity or voluntary organisation, you may be confused when it comes to taking out employers' liability insurance for your volunteers. In this article, we look at the legal requirements and best practice to help you make an informed decision.

Whether your event is a small coffee morning or a summer festival involving the whole town, having the right protection in place is essential. Your charity and your trustees have a duty of care to your employees, volunteers, participants and members of the public. It’s important to make sure you understand the details of your insurance policy, as depending on the nature of the event and who’s involved, the type of insurance cover may vary.

To give you some guidance, we have broken down the types of event cover available and what makes up a typical policy below. For more detailed advice, please either speak with your existing broker or get in touch with our team – email hello@bhibcharities.co.uk or call 0330 013 0036.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance covers your organisation should someone injure themselves at your event or if there is damage to third-party property. For example, if you held an arts and crafts fair and an attendee tripped over misplaced storage boxes and hurt themselves, you could be held liable. Similarly, if you damaged a rented space whilst holding a fundraising event, such as an auction or clothes drive, the owner of the space could look to seek compensation.

Although public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement when holding an event, it could save your charity or community group thousands in the event of a claim.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

Whether your charity is employing temporary, part-time or full-time workers for an event, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. If an employee experiences an injury or illness during the event they could take legal action against you. For example, if one of your staff members injures their ankle whilst putting up decorations for your charity summer ball, you could be held responsible.

If you have taken out employers’ liability insurance for your employees, then it’s likely that your volunteers will also be covered under this policy. However, you should always double-check policy details with your insurer/broker before you host your event.

Equipment Insurance

Whether you are organising a fun run, fete or a bake sale, if you are using some form of equipment to deliver your event then you may need to cover these items too. Costs can soon add up if you need to replace expensive electrical equipment such as laptops, speakers and microphones if they are lost, damaged or stolen. Equipment cover can protect your organisation against paying out for expensive repairs or replacements.

Event Cancellation Insurance

Event cancellation cover can safeguard your charity or voluntary organisation against the costs and expenses that could occur as a result of a cancelled, disrupted or postponed event. Event cancellation insurance compensates for reasons out of your control such as adverse weather, terrorism or non-appearance of key speakers/performers that would lead to you cancelling the event, as well as a multitude of other reasons.

Where can I go for more information?

BHIB Charities Insurance is brought to you by BHIB Insurance Brokers. We specialise in providing tailored cover for community groups, clubs, societies, voluntary organisations and hobby or special interest groups. We offer more than just insurance and we are passionate about supporting local communities.

To find out how we can help your charity or not-for-profit organisation, email us on hello@bhibcharities.co.uk or call 0330 013 0036 to speak to our friendly, expert team.

Share via:

My organisation has an ...