What types of insurance should I consider for my charity?

Share via:

Charity people hugging

Running a charity or voluntary organisation takes a very special set of skills, devotion, passion and a lot of heart. Charities are often working with tight budgets and valuable yet limited resources, especially in the early stages. It’s for these reasons alone that you should think about insurance for your organisation.

Insurance for your charity or voluntary group protects your organisation, your events, your reputation and your people.

However, we know that choosing the right insurance can be tricky, especially with so many options. Therefore, we have put together a simple guide below to help guide you through some of the common insurance covers available so you can decide which policy is right for your charity or voluntary organisation.

The below is merely a guide and should not be treated as strict advice. For further advice, get in touch with one of our friendly charity specialists at hello@bhibcharities.co.uk, who will be happy to talk through your specific insurance needs.

Do you interact with the public?

If your organisation has any contact with third parties, such as the public, other organisations and/or volunteers, then you should consider public liability cover. This type of insurance covers you against any accidental injuries or any damage that is caused to third parties or their property.

For example, public liability insurance can provide cover should an attendee at one of your events injure themselves or a venue is damaged as a result of a fundraiser you were holding. If you need to defend claims made against your charity or voluntary organisation, your legal costs will be covered with this insurance.

Do you have a board of trustees, committee members or directors?

Your trustees, committee members and/or directors are often the decision-makers and, if a mistake is made, they could be held responsible for financial loss or reputational damage to your charitable organisation. Trustee’s liability insurance protects your trustees from the costs of legal disputes and investigations.

Do you have employees or volunteers?

If you employ temporary, part-time and/or full-time individuals to work for your organisation then it is your responsibility to protect them. This also extends to anyone volunteering on behalf of your charity or voluntary organisation.

Employers’ liability cover will protect employers from claims arising from injury, disease or fatality to employees whilst carrying out their duties. If you’ve taken out employers’ liability insurance for staff, your volunteers should also be covered under this policy, although you should always double-check with your insurer/broker.

Do you give advice?

When a charity provides a professional service they could be held legally liable for any financial loss, injury or damage that occurs if the charity is alleged to provide inadequate advice or insufficient charitable services. Professional indemnity insurance, often referred to as PI insurance, can cover any legal costs and expenses incurred in your defence against claims, as well as any damages or costs incurred as a result of following the advice or service.

Where can I go for more information?

BHIB Charities Insurance is brought to you by BHIB Insurance Brokers. We specialise in providing tailored cover for community groups, clubs, societies, voluntary organisations and hobby or special interest groups. We offer more than just insurance and we are passionate about supporting local communities.

To find out how we can help your charity or not-for-profit organisation, email us on hello@bhibcharities.co.uk or call 0330 013 0036 to speak to our friendly, expert team.

Share via:

My organisation has an ...