All employers have a duty to protect employees from the health risks associated with working with display screen equipment (DSE) such as PCs, laptops, tablets and smartphones.
The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations only apply to workers who use DSE on a daily basis for at least an hour at a time – these workers are referred to as ‘DSE users’. The regulations do not apply to any employees who use DSE on an infrequent basis or only for short periods of time.
The regulations apply if DSE users are:
- Working at a fixed workstation
- Mobile workers
- Working from home
- Hot-desking (workers should carry out a basic risk assessment if they change desks regularly).
What do charities need to do?
If your employees include ‘DSE users’, then by law the charity must:
- Carry out a DSE workstation assessment
- Take action to reduce risks, such as ensuring workers take regular breaks from using DSE
- Provide an eye test if a worker requests one
- Provide training, advice and guidance to workers on the use of DSE
The incorrect use of DSE or poorly designed workspaces/work environments can result in pain in the shoulders, neck, back, arm, wrists and hands as well as eye strain, headaches and fatigue.
Download our FREE Display Screen Equipment (DSE) Self-Assessment Form for Charities
To help charities complete a DSE assessment, we have developed a DSE Self-Assessment Form which you can download for free here:
The Self-Assessment Form includes a checklist for ensuring workstations are correctly set-up, helping you assess:
- Display screen position, height and manoeuvrability
- Screen glare, brightness and contrast settings
- Keyboard position and tilt options
- Computer mouse position and wrist/forearm support
- Desk space and height
- Chair support and height
- Regular DSE breaks
- Work environment – natural light, avoiding trip hazards etc…
About BHIB Charities Insurance
BHIB Charities Insurance specialise in providing tailored cover for community groups, clubs, societies, voluntary organisations and hobby or special interest groups. We offer more than just insurance and we are passionate about supporting local communities.